Saturday, July 9, 2011

So much to do, so little time!

I can't believe it's already Sunday night! We've been here for a week already! And finally I have some time to write.
We arrived into Bangkok last Sunday (June 26th).  We lucked out and got to ride in Business class for the 11 hour flight to Narita and First class for the 6 hour flight to Bangkok. Even with the upgrades we were exhausted and pretty pooped. Slept like a baby that first night!


Reclining Buddha at Wat Pho

Day one in Bangkok started around 6am with breakfast at our hotel. We took the ferry to visit Wat Pho and the Grand Palace. We wanted to see the Grand Palace first but was told that due to some holy holiday and monks visiting it was closed to foreigners until 1pm. A tuk tuk (thailands version of a rickshaw, but motorized) driver told us that and then an official looking tourist police told us the same thing.  I'm still not sure if it was really closed to foreigners until 1pm or if it was a scam to get us to go on a tuk tuk tour. Anyway we decided to visit Wat Pho first.  Wat Pho is the largest reclining buddha in Thailand and I have to say it is pretty impressive.  It was still not 1pm when we finished at Wat Pho so we decided to take a tuk tuk tour anyway.  It was only 40baht (equivalent to 1.40USD).  Maybe it was a scam, will never know and even if we were, it only costed us 1.40 and we had an enjoyable ride around town in a tuk tuk and visited a few more temples. By the time we got off the tuk tuk at Grand Palace we were getting to the point of temple overload.  I still loved the Emerald Buddha there best. 
After a day of temples we went to get Alex his first Thai Massage. He is addicted now! In fact he's getting one as I'm typing away :) USD8 for an hour of relaxation...not too shabby!

On Tuesday we flew north to Chiangmai.  I loved Chiangmai!  Our hotel The Royal Lanna was in the heart of the night bazaar and in an awesome location, thanks to my dear friend Tom's recommendation.  It was so convenient and we were able to walk into the old city for more temple visits.  Second day in Thailand and we had our second massage.  We had the best dinner in the night bazaar....grilled sea bass and Tom Yum soup...aaaahhhhh I think I'm in heaven!
Butterfly we saw on the jungle trek.
 
Dinner at night bazaar in Chiangmai.


Feeding our happy elephant some bananas.
No Alex you don't need to peel it, she can eat it like that!

On Wednesday we went on a jungle trek.  It was a long drive but worth it.  Our first stop was for an elephant ride into the jungles.  Lot's of fun and super cute elephants that had their own unique personalities.  We rode on a female elephant that was 45 years old, told Alex that she's about the same age as he is ;-)  A single gentleman that was with us rode on a little elephant that was only 6 years old.  The little boy elephant was still being trained and he just did not want to get his feet wet and dirty.  He would do all possible to avoid walking through the muddy jungle.  Pretty funny stuff to see an elephant walking with his legs spread against the mountains just to avoid the muddy trenches.  We then hiked to a Mong Village.  We were walking along a muddy path between some branches, Alex behind me and our tour guide Mang behind Alex.  I heard something happening behind me, turned around to look and I see Alex about to plummet into the bushes and off the path.  Thank goodness for Mangs quick hand that grabbed hold of Alex's shirt! Alex slipped and if it were not for Mangs quick thinking he would have fallen off the path, into branches, and off the side of the mountain and landed in rice field!   For a brief moment I thought I may have lost Alex!  All I can think is OMG! Next stop is river rafting, this time I was the one that didn't want to get wet.  I wasn't coordinated and couldn't balance myself well enough to stand on the raft.  I also didn't want to sit on it to wet my shorts so the only other option was to squat.  Alex said just give it up and sit, you look like a frog! Fun day!!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment