Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Volunteering At Go Vap Orphanage in Vietnam

Front entryway for Go Vap Orphanage
http://www.vietnamvolunteernetwork.com/



First Class HK to Saigon






Thursday Jan 20, 2011

What a relief to step off the plane in Ho Chi Minh after 16 hours. Unfortunately both of my check in bags didn't make it.  Sadly, its not the first time a bag didn't show up at baggage claim for me. Seems that I'm jinxed every time I travel via Hong Kong.  I called today and United says it will arrive tonight and be delivered to my guesthouse tomorrow morning. I sure hope so, one bag is filled with supplies for the orphanage.  I would be so sad if that bag got lost. Would be nice to get my personal things too :).Luckily my girlfriends have been kind enough to lend me some clothing. Crossing my fingers. 

My room is really comfortable. I decided to splurge and get my own room. I figured I was worth the $23 a night ; ) And I even get air conditioning and unlimited hot water with that. They are so nice here at our guesthouse. They always seem to have an answer for every question. 

Today, Thursday was our first full day here. Started with a nice breakfast at our guesthouse rooftop. Shortly after we went to Go Vap Orphanage for our induction. We met with the director Mrs Loan and Joanne, who is with Vietnam Volunteer network. VVN is the organization that helped to put us together with Go Vap . We toured the facility and the different wards. The newborn ward, special needs ward and terminal ward. We also received our assignments for the week. We were told to spend as much time in the terminal ward and special needs ward as possible. Especially the terminal ward as they get the least love but need it the most. Touch  them, give them love, and help with feeding. For the older special needs kids we would have English classes.   Many have physical and mental disabilities. In the terminal ward most common is enlargement of the head due to water retaining around the brain. The kids on the special needs ward are especially fun to spend time with. They are so loving and funny.   So today Beth and Annette spent time in the terminal ward and Liza and I were told to host an impromptu English class. Liza would be the teacher and I would be her t.a. : )  You can only imagine the scene of two flight attendants teaching English to a group of Vietnamese speaking special needs kids. Thank goodness for the flashcards with animal pictures.   It was chaos filled with lots of ruff ruff, moo's and quack quacks. We were told that in their culture they will pinch you to show love. I was so happy to get my first pinch today. Hopefully one of many. 

Tonight we walked over to the night market at Ben Thanh. We wanted to have dinner at Hai Lua, an outdoor night market restaurant that Beth's seat partner (flight from SF to HKG) recommended. We were told it opens at 7 pm. We were there a little early around 635pm and could not pin point it's exact location. Amazing that in the time that we arrived at 635 to 7pm the empty street was now a bustling night market with Hai Lua in the middle of it. Seafood dinner was good. We had boiled clams with lemongrass and grilled red snapper...yum. 




View of the Terminal Ward




Special Needs Ward Dorms

Click here to volunteer in Vietnam


No comments:

Post a Comment